Monday, January 28, 2013

SAUNA: FRAMING

"The sauna builders" were in our house all week long.  After lots of banging and dust our sauna is now framed.
We combined couple of storage closets, a bathroom, and a space underneath the stairs, as well as moved a wall about a foot and a half toward our big family room.  Here is what we have so far.
 
 
Here is the sauna, and a storage area for blankets and linens.
 
 
You will be able to get to the bathroom and sauna from the family room as well as from an existing door in Kai's and Niko's hallway.The toilet will be in the space under the stairs and in front of it will be a built-in book case/storage area with a door...door/no door...we have not decided yet.
 
 
The plumbing will have to be redone, because we are adding a drain to the sauna...and because the toilet got moved to other area.
 
 
We have the best contractor in the whole world.  Every time I add something or change something, he just looks at us, smiles and says..."Yeah, we can do that"  And then he proceeds to explain how it can be done.
 
I do have to include one funny story from last week. 
The demolishion group was cutting down the concrete to add space for new plumbing.  It was super loud and dusty. I had to go to kitchen for something and found it filled with smoke.  The whole kitchen was all smelly and hazy...infact I noticed that the whole main level had the same problem.  And it looked like smoke was coming out of the cabinet under the range.  The workers were right under tke kitchen.  I panicked and thought that they had severed the propane line.  I called the propane company to find out how to shut off the propane to the house.  I called Jason to come home from work and had him call our contractor who rushed here from who knows where.
We came to find out..it was not a propane leak, but concrete dust coming through from the basement.  I felt like an idiot, but our kind contractor assured me that I had done the right thing.
 
At least I learned how and where to turn off the propane in the case of emergency....